International applicants and international visiting PhD scholars

The PhD School welcomes PhD students from all over the world. On this page you can find information relevant for all types of international PhD applicants or PhD scholars who want to study or visit the PhD School in the Humanities at UCPH.

There are four ways in which you can join the PhD school.







Applicants with international grants or personal funding seeking enrolment in the PhD school

Applicants with international grants or personal funding seeking enrolment in the PhD school

Practical information for international PhD students

As a first impression of what it could be like to live in Copenhagen, we encourage you to visit the website Living in Copenhagen including the testimonials from other international students.

Whether you will be employed as an international PhD scholar in UCPH or want to become a visiting PhD scholar from abroad, there are many practical matters that you will need to arrange.

Practical information about living and working as an international PhD student in Denmark can be found at the UCPH International Mobility Office. Among other things, you can read about:

Please contact the ISM office if you have inquiries about practical matters.

Residence and work permit

The ISM can also inform you about application for residency and work permit.

Nordic citizens: Citizens of Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden are free to enter, reside, study and work in Denmark. if you plan to stay in Denmark for more than six months, you must apply for a Danish CPR number. 
Read more: Nordic citizens

EU/EEA or Swiss citizens: If your stay is longer than 3 months, you must apply for AU residence with the Danish Agency for International Integration.
Read more: EU/EEA/Swiss citizens

Citizens of other countries: You must apply for a residence and work permit at the Danish Immigration Service.
Read more: Non-EU/EEA citizens